Saint John the Baptist Church - Ister-Granum

Saint John the Baptist Church

Epöl

The first mention dates from 1225. According to a charter of 1270, it is a royal estate, whose inhabitants pay taxes on wine. Stephen V donated it to the Archbishop of Esztergom on his coronation. According to the papal tithe register of 1332-37, its parish priest, Balázs, pays 3 garas. The Pázmány census of 1629, based on the list of the Esztergom Chapter of 1397, mentions “Epel” among the exempt parishes. After the Ottoman period it was a branch of Bajna. From 1790, when Bajna was given a chaplaincy, Mass was celebrated every third Sunday, and from 1833 every Sunday. Since 1947 it has been an independent pastorate. Its medieval church is commemorated in the visitatio canonica of 1701: “The branch of Bajna Epöl, whose church was smashed to pieces 200 years ago.” According to the visitatio canonica of 1732, a new church was built on the old foundations, a thousand paces from the village. Precisely because of its remoteness, it was demolished in 1802 and the material was used to build the present late Baroque church (230 m2) in 1805. The site of the old church is preserved in the ‘old churchyard’. Between 1952 and 1969 the church and the parsonage, which was owned by the church, were renovated.

Show on map

Contact

Saint John the Baptist Church
2526 Epöl
Hősök tere 1.

Phone:
+3633481057

More information